The purpose of Griha Pravesh puja is to purify the new home. The Vastu shastra puja performed helps to overcome any Vastu dosh in the house. The Griha Pravesh puja allows the flow of positive energy into the house.
The Griha Pravesh puja involves offering prayers, flowers, prashad and other essential samagri to all the gods and goddesses. The puja includes rituals such as Ganesha puja, Shanti puja, Vastu puja and coconut cracking. The pandit completes the puja with a havan to purify the home.
The puja also requires the owner to boil milk or cook Kheer in the new kitchen. This kheer is then offered to the deities as prashad. Pandit also sprinkles holy water all around the house. It is considered sacred to tie mango and banana leaves on the entrance and doors of the house. All these are done to protect the new house from evil spirits and negative energy.
The pandit will suggest to you the most auspicious date and time of the Griha Pravesh puja after analyzing the grahas, constellation status, place of moon and sun and thiti.
Here is a list of puja samagri required to do Griha pravesh puja. Any extra item if required will be communicated to you in advance.
- Coconut – 2 pcs
- Areca nut (Supari) – 11 pcs
- Cloves – 10 gram
- Green Cardamom – 10 gram
- Betel leaves – 7 pcs
- Roli or Kumkum – 1 Packet
- Mauli – 1 bundle
- Upanayana or Janeu – 7
- Milk (not boiled) – 100 gram
- Yoghurt (Curd) – 100 gram
- Desi Ghee – 1 kilogram
- Wooden low height table (Chauki) – 1 pc
- Barley (grains) – 250 gram
- Honey – 250 gram
- Jaggery – 250 gram
- Whole Rice – 1.25 kilogram
- Panch Meva (Mixture of 5 types of dry fruits) – 250 gram
- Five types of sweets – 500 gram
- 5 types of seasonal fruits – as per the needs
- Flowers & flower garlands – 5
- Dhup Batti – 1 packet
- Incense Stick – 1 packet
- Incense burner (Hawan Samagri) – 1 kilogram
- Black sesame seeds – 250 gram
- Large earthen Diya – 1 pc
- Brass Kalasha – 1
- Cotton – 1 packet
- Yellow cloth – 1.25 meter
- Red cloth – 1.25 meter
- Camphor – 11 pcs
- Mango or Ashoka Tree leaves – 11 leaves
- Dry woods of mango – 2 kilogram
- Turmeric – 100 gram
- Ganga Jal – 1 litre